Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Five Best Things About Getting the Flu


I've recovering from the flu right now. I can sit up and walk around but my mind is still a bit fuzzy. Getting the flu is one of the least enjoyable things that humans go through, so I thought I'd try to find a few bright points in the influenza darkness:

1. You lose weight. Yeah, it's perverse, but I think I've gone down by about a pant size. Woo hoo!

2. You catch up on sleep. I hate to sleep. Seriously. It's nothing more than a big swath of time cut from writing. But, getting caught up on some of the missing sleep will probably be beneficial in the long run.

3. People bring you stuff. That's right- I'm thirsty, darn it. I usually feel bad if I ask someone to bring me something, but that's certainly not the case during the flu. Bring me drinks, lunch, a better mouse- whatever I need. Thanks.

4. Dreams get freaky. I'm not sure if it's the Darvocet, the Tamiflu or the fever, but my dreams have been epic tales of wonder. I'm thinking about basing a children's book on one of them.

5. Less fear of the general public. Usually at this time of year I have a healthy fear of coughing strangers. I use Germ-X excessively and try to keep from touching stuff. But after having the worst that the season offers, I have no fear. Unless someone has plague, I'm not impressed.

No comments: