Tuesday, May 20, 2008

You Know You're a Writer When...

I've seen that discussion a lot. When can you call yourself a writer? Is it when you first get paid? Is it when you make a living writing? Is it when you just love writing? I don't know. I don't really have time to contemplate it much because I'm too busy writing.

Anyway, it occurred to me last night that one of the criteria may be writing all day for pay and then spending your free time writing stuff to amuse yourself. Yeah. That's how I have fun. Don't pity me too terribly.

There are a lot of little 'net corners where you can amuse yourself. And if you use a pen name, no one ever has to know that it's you. I've given up who I am on HubPages now, but I'm betting you'll never find me on Triond or, well, let's just say I get around. If you want to have a little fun, express something that isn't popular or just try to stretch your writing skills a little bit, try HubPages or Squidoo. You don't have to use your actual name on either one, unlike Suite101 or the like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've made some money on these sites? I figured them for a waste of time and never tried. There must be a million of them. Lulu. Helium. Strontium 90. (Just kiddding about that one.) I'll look into Hubpages.

L. Shepherd said...

I haven't tried Helium because I've heard such bad things about it. I haven't tried Strontium 90 because I enjoy my teeth and hair. I know a lot of people who do pretty well with Squiddoo- I'm just not one of them. I do pretty well with Suite101 and a couple of others.

HubPages pays mostly through your own AdSense, so you won't get rich or anything. The ads are very well placed, though. I hardly ever made any AdSense money until I started writing hubs.